Organization : Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) Bangkok Regional Centre
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 9 Jul 2018
View : 1486
Deadline : 1 / October / 2018
Post Title: Project Coordination and Communications Officer
Location: Bangkok, THAILAND
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Duration: 1 year with renewal
Project: Japan-ASEAN Integrated Fund (JAIF) project on disaster risk reduction (DRR) by integrating climate change projection into risk assessment
Established in 1998, the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES) is an independent think tank and strategic policy research institute that contributes to sustainable development and environmental preservation. The Institute’s mission is to achieve a new paradigm for civilization and conduct innovative policy development and strategic research for environmental measures, reflecting the results of research into political decisions for realising sustainable development both in the Asia-Pacific region and globally. IGES works closely with national governments, local authorities, international organisations, research institutes, businesses, NGOs and local communities on various critical environmental issues including climate change mitigation and adaptation, forest and biodiversity conservation, water resource management, sustainable consumption and production, waste management, integrated policies for sustainable societies and sustainable cities.
Based in Hayama, Japan, the Institute has a special focus on the Asia-Pacific region, with offices in Bangkok, Beijing, Kansai, Kitakyushu, New Delhi and Tokyo.
Statement of Intent
IGES Bangkok Regional Centre (BRC) is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of
Project Coordination and Communications Officer for the ASEAN Project on disaster risk reduction (DRR) by integrating climate change projection into risk assessment supported by Japan-ASEAN Integrated Fund (JAIF). S/he will assist the Programme Manager in overseeing the implementation of the project plan, specifically on the coordination/liaison with ASEAN government agencies and national focal points from the disaster management, natural resources and environment, agriculture and livelihoods, and construction departments.
The project aims to support/improve the DRR systems in the region; and contribute to the enhancement of disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation of the peoples and communities in ASEAN. Activities will be implemented in the region with specific pilot projects and exchange/case visits to selected flood and landslide sites, intended to showcase the integration of climate change considerations into DRR.
Read more about the previous project https://www.drrandcca.com/
Duties and Responsibilities
S/he will work under the guidance and supervision of the Programme Manager to assist the implementation of the ASEAN Project on disaster risk reduction (DRR) by integrating climate change projection into risk assessment on a daily basis as summarized below:
- Coordinate with ASEAN government agencies and national focal point for effective delivery of the project;
- Produce all communications and reports pertaining to project activities including flood and landslide risk assessment field studies and exchange/case visits;
- Develop internal and external communication/promotional materials for the project.
Coordination and Liaison
- Work closely with ASEAN government counterparts of various agencies namely disaster management, natural resources and environment, agriculture and livelihoods, and construction departments in the project provinces and districts to ensure the smooth implementation of the project;
- Coordinate/liaise with ASEAN government counterparts and national focal points on the submission of annual progress report and work plan on the integrating DRR and CCA;
- Maintain close liaison with national partners, ensuring optimum participation and promoting ownership of the Government in the implementation of the river basin pilot projects;
- Provide technical support on development plan formulation, implementation and monitoring including capacity building of relevant government agencies;
- Provide support to the provincial and district disaster management officers in the implementation of flood and landslide risk assessment, as necessary.
Reporting and Communications
- Review, verify and compile national progress report, data and action plan on disaster risk reduction (DRR) and climate change adaptation (CCA) integration from the 10 ASEAN member countries;
- Synthesize the ASEAN Regional Report for the ASEAN Committee on Disaster Management, ASEAN Working Group on Climate Change, and ASEAN-Japan Integrated Fund submission;
- Identify best practices and lessons learnt from country’s progress and activities;
- Ensure that information and data from the field is captured, documented, analysed and reported in a result-based and timely manner;
- Prepare reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Produce mission reports, including finance clearance after each mission;
- Ensure effective communications, visibility and knowledge management.
- Contribute to the implementation/monitoring plan of the project activities including the field survey of pilot projects and case visits to flood and landslide risk assessments;
- Facilitate programme monitoring and evaluation, as well as audit activities;
- Record and maintain documents on relevant project activities, good practices and lessons learnt;
- Ensure conformity of project disbursement request with procedures, work plane and availability of resources;
- Assist the project team in preparation of project activities and follow-up actions
- Support the river basin pilot project (RBP) team, national project management committee (NPMC) and partners;
- Assist the project team on internal and external communication and promotional materials in collaboration with the river basin pilot project (RBP) team, national project management committee (NPMC) and partners;
- Assist the Programme Manager in conducting project activities/meetings.
- Carry out any other related duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Thai national, with a minimum of 4 years’ of experience in project/programme development and coordination, communication and advocacy, reporting, research;
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, social sciences, journalism or related fields;
- Analytic capacity and demonstrated ability to process, analyse and synthesise complex, technical information/report;
- Proven ability to produce clear and concise reports, and well versed in the publishing methods
- Strong computer skills, including use of Microsoft applications;
- Good advocacy, communication and negotiation skills and ability to work as a team member;
- Excellent writing, editing and speaking skills in both English and Thai
- Self-motivated, demonstrate ability to plan and organize work and time independently;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work with frequent deadlines;
- Strong networking capacity and understanding of development work at local and regional scales;
- Strong diplomatic skills in handling counterpart/ high-level government officials relations;
- Familiarity with the context of disaster risk reduction, adaptation in the ASEAN region;
- Experience with international organization, working with ASEAN would be an asset;
- Experience working in multi-cultural environment and team;
- Experience in communication and/or new media would be an asset.
Terms of Employment
The term of this position is initially offered for one year with possible extension subject to fund availability. A probationary period of 3 months at the beginning of the term of employment will be considered.
Salary will conform to the IGES Regional Centre’s payment system. Relevant work experience and professional skills will be taken into account. Income tax withholding and other requirements will be compiled with under Thai labour laws.
Annual paid leave and other holidays will conform to the practice in Thailand and in accordance with the relevant rules observed at IGES Regional Centre under Thai labour laws.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants are encouraged to submit the following to:
regionalcentre-HR@iges.or.jp CC email@example.com
- Letter of Motivation explaining why you are interested in the position
- Detailed curriculum vitae indicating previous positions, current and expected salary
- Three professional referees
- Samples of writing and/or publication,
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted applicants will be notified for written test and/or interview
- This position is open for Thai national only
- This post is Bangkok-based, with frequent international travels to South East Asian countries
- Willingness and availability to travel periodically under sometimes adverse conditions.
Closing Date for Applications is Monday 30th July, midnight Bangkok Time (UTC+7).
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org