Organization : UNHCR
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 5 Jun 2018
View : 1505
Deadline : 13 / June / 2018
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 28/2018
Senior Protection Assistant
Equivalent to GS-5
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
05 June 2018
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
13 June 2018
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Position As soon as possible
Scope of Assignment
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Populations of concern will be protected through the application of relevant international and national laws and UN/UNHCR protection standards and principles.
- Protection activities will be guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern will be facilitated through supporting participatory and other rights- and community-based approaches.
- All protection activities with asylum seekers and refugees will be conducted in accordance with the Age, Gender, Diversity Mainstreaming (AGDM).
- Protection incidents will be identified and addressed.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Consistently apply relevant international and national laws and applicable UN/UNHCR policies, standards, and codes of conduct.
- Comply with Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Ensure that detained asylum-seekers and refugees in IDC have opportunity to identify themselves in front of UNHCR so that their detention is recorded.
- Identity new applications for asylum from the detained population and share with the office without delay.
- Provide accurate and timely counseling to asylum seekers and refugees in IDC regarding protection and security issues, the RSD process, health concerns, and documentation.
- Identify especially vulnerable asylum seekers and refugees in IDC, such as children, woman at risk, SGBV survivors, elderly, and individuals with serious medical conditions, for protection interventions and service referrals.
- Prepare on a regular basis the statistics of asylum-seekers and refugees in IDC, and update such information in UNHCR’s ProGres database.
- In coordination with the Immigration authorities, prepare monthly lists of refugees and asylum-seekers on bail and monitor bail extension procedures and compliance.
- Monitor and engage with airport detention facilities upon identification of potential asylum-seekers.
- Provide Protection counseling to asylum-seekers and refugees detained in IDC or airport facilities, at the Bangkok Refugee Center (BRC) or elsewhere. Refer cases to the supervisor/relevant entities should they require further action.
- Monitor detention conditions for asylum-seekers and refugees and notify the supervisor of concerns.
- Coordinate and keep abreast of communication/situations with IDC authorities and concerned organizations to ensure that UNHCR persons of concern receive a proper response in due course.
- In coordination with Protection Officer, advocate for release of asylum seekers and refugees with serious vulnerabilities.
- Monitor and report to the office any refoulement attempts in detention.
- Assist in the Resettlement counseling process and with relevant Immigration processes required prior to departures.
- Coordinate with the Immigration authorities, the International Organization for Migration (IOM), and embassies to ensure the timely accomplishment of resettlement/departure documentation.
- In collaboration with Protection Associate, train Protection Interns to function Protection tasks as assigned.
- Carry out case management for especially vulnerable asylum seekers and refugees to ensure appropriate and timely services, referrals and counseling on options.
- Perform legal research on national and international laws as assigned by the Protection Officer.
- Perform other Protection duties as assigned.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Prepare the list of persons of concern who are eligible for cash-based intervention on a monthly basis.
- Preliminarily interview/counsel persons of concern who are in need of protection for further referral on priority/urgent basis.
- Enforce integrity in the delivery of protection services by local implementing partners.
Qualifications and Required Competencies
- University degree in Law, International Law, Political Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 2 years experience with refugees and/or in related field.
- Understanding of survivor based approach to Sexual and Gender Based Violence (SGBV) and child protection issues, including previous interviewing experience would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of computer and use of various computer software packages, i.e. MS Word, Excel and Access.
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English and Thai.
- Knowledge of ProGres and completion of UNHCR specific learning/training activities would be advantage.
Please submit your Motivation Letter, P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport indicating the vacancy announcement number and position title to: THABAHR@unhcr.org
Candidates who are not Thai nationals are required to submit with their application evidence of their right to work in Thailand.
Only candidates under positive consideration will be contacted for a written test and/or interview.
UNHCR/P.11 and supplementary forms can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and
Contact : THABAHR@unhcr.org