Organization : Save the Children International
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 4 Dec 2017
View : 2421
Deadline : 17 / December / 2017
TITLE: Project Officer - Drowning Prevention
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Drowning Prevention LOCATION: Phang Nga
CONTRACT LENGTH: 1 Year
Drowning is the most common cause of death among children in Thailand. According to Thailand’s Department of Disease Control, 1,243 children under 15 die from drowning each year. Water is an essential feature of Thailand’s geography and climate, and these water sources are responsible for drowning deaths, particularly children. Open waters, rivers, ponds, ditches, and quarries are in abundance in both rural and urban areas and fill with water during the rainy season. Closed vessels such as large buckets and troughs are used for water storage, cooking, and feeding livestock. Additionally, Thailand is prone to natural disasters including floods, tropical storms, typhoons, and tsunamis.
While drowning is pervasive across Thailand, children are at a heightened risk of drowning in rural areas, especially around natural water sources. Further compounding the problem is that two out of every three children under the age of 15 (approximately 11 million children) do not know how to swim. In addition, parents, caregivers, and communities are unaware of the high rate of child drowning and have limited, if any knowledge of drowning prevention.
The project officer will be responsible for supporting the project implementation, research, monitoring and evaluation in the field. The project officer will coordinate project activities at the field level in coordination with project partners, co-lead on the parent training program, and closely support the water safety awareness campaign. The project officer will also be responsible for data collection and consolidating data for learning and reporting purposes, and for administrative and finance support to the project coordinator and partners.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Phang Nga Senior Field coordinator
Staff reporting to this post: None
Indirect : N/A
Role Dimensions: Field Assistant, work closely with primary schools for drowning prevention
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
- Programme Delivery:
- Support the Field Coordinator in direct implementation of the Drowning Prevention Project; ensuring delivery of the whole child safety programme activities, events, workshops and advocacies.
- Engage with Khuk Khak Municipality, Takuapa district, Phang Nga Province, Office of Basic Education Commission (OBEC), primary schools, early childhood development (ECD) centre, Health Promotion Hospital, rescue, private sector and other CBOs to organize swimming education programs, conducts training of trainers (TOT) for key teachers, students, parents and community volunteers
- Support the Field Coordinator in collaboration with Communication & Advocacy Coordinator and MEAL Coordinator in implementing the advocacy campaign.
- Support the Field Coordinator to leads in engaging teachers, students, parents and community, providing trainings and events, creating a database to track beneficiaries’ information.
- Communications and Information
- Day-to-day administration of shared electronic and paper files to ensure straightforward access to information;
- Update visitors and safety and security guidelines;
- Maintain and update a shared and electronic RO Travel and Meeting Calendar.
- Emergency Response
- Be Emergency Response Team (ERT)
- Attends to Emergency Response Team (ERT) training
- Assist the Field Coordinator and the Senior Child Safety Programme Coordinator in each emergency response as assigned
- Project Management
- Provide project management Support to the Field Coordinator to design project activities and develop a clear and detailed implementation plans; and monitors activities against this plan to ensure timely and quality implementation.
- Actively participate in the drowning prevention project brainstorming design sessions and meetings, providing inputs based on current implementation.
- Represent Save the Children in advocacy, networking, meetings, workshops, and conferences as needed.
- Co-ordinate and communicate with partners and stakeholders on the drowning prevention project management and activity implementation throughout local and national level.
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders including administration, logistics and resource persons
- Liaise with the Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) & Comprehensive School Safety (CSS) framework’s network to address project’s advocacy needs, and ensure positive outcomes for children.
- Support the Field Coordinator to manage the drowning prevention project grants, ensuring donors’ compliance through proper tracking of reporting on activities, training and monitoring of project delivery and quality.
- Provide ideas, feedback and updates to the Field Coordinator on project progress.
- Contribute to Field work reporting
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability, and Learning (MEAL)
- Support to the Field Coordinator in writing project reports for Save the Children members and donors.
- Support the Field Coordinator and MEAL officer to develop monitoring and evaluation project plans, and ensure its implementation.
- Support the Field Coordinator and Communication & Advocacy Coordinator to develop communication & advocacy project plans, and ensure its implementation.
- Support the Field Coordinator to ensure quantitative and qualitative documentation of project outcomes and impacts; and that learning is shared with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the Field Coordinator to work with MEAL team support, apply the Save the Children accountability procedures to the 7% project activities.
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values.
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same.
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others.
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
- develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Bachelor Degree of Education, Social Science or other related fields
- Minimum 3 years of experience working on development projects and / or awareness campaign management
- Previous experience with project role
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- The ability to speak read and write in Thai and English as working languages
- Proficiency in computer use with various software packages; and confident in digital technology, particularly with engaging with online community and social media.
- Ability to lead a community of people and/or volunteers with experience mobilizing volunteers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Clear desire to work with people to help solve their problems
- Ability to work independently and troubleshooting
- Ability to travel in remote and/or disaster-affected areas as assigned
- Good at using different types of communication tools to tell stories
- Demonstrated good facilitation or training skills
- Demonstrated administration skills
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based
- Strong interpersonal skills the ability to work collaboratively with others
- Experience or familiarity with water safety / child safety
- Background in Emergency programming is an asset.
- Experience working in education programs is an asset.
- Experience working in an international development organization is an asset.
- Experience working with governmental agencies, communities, CBOs, NGOs and press is an asset.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
SCI offer competitive National package; Transportation & Communication allowance, Well ness Top up 20,000 THB/year, 13th month salary & Annual leave 20 days, etc.
Interested candidates should submit a motivational letter, comprehensive CV, Link to 2 most recent publications or soft copies can be attached, and details of at least 3 referees to: email@example.com Closing date for submissions: 17 December 2017
Please indicate in the subject as “Apply for Project Officer - Drowning Prevention_(Name of candidate)”
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
“We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse”
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org