Organization : Abt Associates/USAID Clean Power Asia
Type : Business / องค์กรภาคธุรกิจ
Date : 30 Oct 2017
View : 1732
Deadline : 10 / November / 2017
Power Sector Regulatory Expert
(Full Time Employee Position)
USAID Clean Power Asia Program, Bangkok Based
Abt Associates, a global leader in technical assistance, program implementation and international development, seeks qualified individuals to fulfill the position of POWER SECTOR REGULATORY EXPERT for the USAID Clean Power Asia program, reporting to the Chief of Party. This position is full-time, based in Bangkok, Thailand. While there are no nationality requirements for applicants, it should be noted that neither allowances nor relocation will be considered or offered to the successful candidate. Applicants must be able to begin work on-site within three weeks of acceptance. Anticipated start date is January 2018.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Clean Power Asia program is a multi-year U.S. government-funded initiative that supports governments and the private sector in the Lower Mekong countries of Thailand, Cambodia, Lao PDR, and Vietnam to scale up investment in grid-connected renewable energy (RE). The Program provides assistance and expertise in energy planning and effective policy, regulatory, and technical environment for low-emissions growth in the power sector, while simultaneously attracting public- and private-sector investment in RE development.
Overall Responsibilities of Power Sector Regulatory Expert
- Work in close coordination with the project team, under the direct supervision and guidance of the Chief of Party, to improve the regulatory framework and enabling environment for grid-connected renewable energy, to accelerate private and public sector investment in renewable power, and share lessons learned with the broader Lower Mekong and ASEAN communities;
- Support future power sector policy development related to setting and meeting national RE targets; and
- Develop and nurture relationships with other donors, government counterparts, private sector actors and others in the region who share the program’s goals.
Position Specific Responsibilities
The Power Sector Regulatory Expert (Regulatory Expert) will lead overall activities under the program’s Task 2: Smart Incentives, Policy and Technical Framework Support, under the direct supervision of the Chief of Party. Overall, the Regulatory Expert will manage mid-level staff and consultants to:
- review and analyze best practices in facilitating a regulatory framework that encourages private sector involvement in the regions’ power sectors and enables grid access by all producers with a license and approved Power Purchase Agreement (PPA);
- review and analyze smart incentives and other enabling environment issues related to power sector policy, laws and regulations that impact the scaling of RE investment in the Mekong countries and the broader ASEAN;
- suggest options for supporting improved policies and regulations to be undertaken or revised with program support in each target country;
- lead efforts with partners, subcontractors, and others to institute mechanisms in support of a stronger enabling environment for grid-connected RE.
Potential activities that the Regulatory Expert will be expected to direct include, but are not limited to:
- Support government entities in designing and implementing smart incentives and removing disincentives to promote investment in RE, and bring lessons learned to workshops planned under the program:
- Improve the regulatory framework for private sector participation in the power sector, including the role of the private vs. public sectors, and increasing access of private power producers to the grid;
- Study the impact of regulatory frameworks, including tariffs and utility cost recovery, to support achieving RE targets incorporated into various Government policies and plans;
- Research and propose solutions to better align utility interests with increased grid-connected RE through a revised regulatory framework. Share lessons learned in such a manner that all countries receiving USAID Clean Power Asia assistance;
- Establish regionally scalable RE FIT, competitive procurement or other policy incentive options to promote investment in grid-connected RE;
- Improve the regulations for RE including streamlined permitting and licensing;
- Studies, followed by workshops, on existing smart incentives outside ASEAN (including the US and Europe), among ASEAN countries and for individual select LM countries;
- Conduct research on economic and technical impacts on utilities and consumers, and implement distributed PV (and potentially solar farm) pilots in selected LM countries. The research and/or pilot programs could address setting goals and developing approaches; tariff design; quantifying economic impacts; codes, standards and interconnection processes; modeling and mitigating impacts on the electric distribution system;
- Lead USAID Clean Power Asia efforts to support or develop deep dive workshops on RE policies and RE auctions (especially solar) at regional events, both those sponsored by USAID Clean Power Asia and those sponsored by others.
- In the area of Variable Renewable Energy (VRE) Integration:,
- Link to RE Planning tasks which support planning for VRE integration (generation and transmission planning, market planning and other issues impacting the transmission and distribution grid);
- Improve capacity of policymakers to understand VRE integration challenges and solutions including system limits;
- Support development of grid codes that facilitate VRE integration and other grid and interconnect requirements for VRE connection in LM Mekong countries.
- Participate in developing and monitoring implementation of the annual work plan
- Manage staff and consultants under Task 2/Policy Support
- Draft scopes of work and select consultants (and staff as needed)
- Review and approve deliverables and final work products of staff and consultants
- Other duties to be determined in conjunction with the COP and USAID.
Required Qualifications (applicants not holding the required qualifications or equivalent will not be considered)
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience in the policy and regulation aspects of the grid-connected renewable energy in one or more of the Lower Mekong countries in which USAID Clean Power Asia is focused (Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao PDR) and/or in ASEAN;
- Progressive experience working on donor-funded – preferably USAID-funded — energy and/or economic growth projects in the ASEAN region;
- Proven ability to manage logistical aspects of donor-funded project activities with multiple actors including energy ministries, regulators, universities, domestic banks, equity firms, and utility and planning agencies across the ASEAN region;
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline is required;
- Fluency in English.
Interested candidates may express their interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
referencing “Power Sector Regulatory Expert” in the subject line.
Applications will be considered if received by COB November 10, 2017. To be considered, your email MUST INCLUDE the following information; failure to provide this information will result in your application being discarded.
- A written expression of interest summarizing (cover letter) your qualifications for the scope of work.
- CV clearly indicating work/consulting history and either daily consulting rate or annual compensation for each consultancy/position, stated in currency of payment.
- US Federal Form 1420 (EBD) https://www.usaid.gov/forms/aid-1420-17
- Proof of annual salary or daily consulting rate as stated in the EBD (acceptable forms include employment agreement, pay stubs, employer verification letter).
- Proof of Education/Degree attained (transcript or diploma).
Failure to submit all required documents will result in application being discarded.
Due to the volume of anticipated applicants, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Abt Associates is doing business as Abt Associates Thailand, registered with the Thailand Department of Commerce. Abt Associates is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce.
Contact : email@example.com