Organization : International Justice Mission
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 2 Oct 2017
View : 1701
Deadline : 31 / October / 2017
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Start Date: As soon as possible
Compensation: Competitive salary with benefits
International Justice Mission (IJM) is a global organization that protects the vulnerable from violence by partnering with government authorities to rescue victims, bring criminals to justice, restore survivors, and strengthen criminal justice systems so they protect the vulnerable from violence and abuse long-term. IJM is a global team of lawyers, social workers and other professionals. IJM has 17 field offices across the globe, including multiple offices in Southeast Asia.
IJM has worked in northern Thailand through IJM’s Chiang Mai field office (FO) since 2000, partnering with government authorities on hill tribe Thai citizenship cases and cases of sexual violence against children. In 2017, IJM established a new field office in Bangkok that will provide support to Thai authorities to eliminate labor trafficking and forced labor from the Thai fishing and seafood industries. IJM lawyers, fieldworkers, social workers and other professionals will support Thai law enforcement, social services, prosecutors and the courts to identify and prosecute cases of forced labor and labor trafficking crimes, and restore labor trafficking survivors to safety and strength.
IJM is seeking a skilled, experienced, Burmese-speaking Fieldworker who will be responsible for gathering and monitoring information on cases of labor trafficking. The Fieldworker will seek to secure reliable, timely and actionable information concerning victims, witnesses, and perpetrators of criminal activity within the project area. This position is based in Bangkok, Thailand and will require travel within Thailand. This position reports to the Bangkok Director of Investigations and Law Enforcement Development (DILED).
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of relevant laws and criminal procedures regarding labor trafficking cases;
- Develop a thorough working knowledge of the methods of human traffickers and the methods and techniques used to gather information and evidence to document labor trafficking crimes effectively;
- Conduct thorough, detailed, and well-documented information gathering related to cases of labor trafficking;
- Recruit and maintain a network of operatives and informants who provide reliable, timely and actionable information regarding cases of labor trafficking;
- Collaborate with community members and NGO partners to receive and respond to reports of trafficking, gathering accurate and relevant information about trafficking activity within communities, and strategically analyzing case work;
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with governmental officials from relevant Thai and international law enforcement agencies to support the development, investigation, and prosecution of human trafficking cases;
- Collaborate regularly with members of IJM Bangkok’s legal and aftercare departments on cases;
- Draft fieldwork plans; write detailed, daily field reports and submit them to the DILED or his designee in a timely manner;
- Competently work with various databases, record management systems, communication networks, and specialized equipment;
- Maintain strict confidentiality of all fieldwork, fieldwork strategies, and other privileged and sensitive information;
- Serve, if necessary, as a witness to the crimes committed;
- Comply with all IJM and Thai government requirements;
- Carry out additional assignments as required by the DILED.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university preferred but not required; minimum of a high school education with graduation certificate;
- One year experience in conducting field investigations or other relevant experience; experience in the justice sector preferred;
- Fluency in oral and written communication in Burmese; fluency or intermediate English preferred; additional language ability in Thai preferred;
- Experience working with migrant workers or victims of human trafficking preferred;
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office applications (specifically Word, Excel and Outlook) preferred;
- No criminal record;
- Valid driver’s license and passport (or able to obtain).
- Strong, humble service ethic and a passion for IJM’s mission;
- Superior attention to detail;
- Disciplined with priorities;
- Personable with a sustained positive attitude;
- Punctual; manages time and resources effectively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Diplomatic, flexible, and mature in judgment;
- Effective team player and leader;
- Patient and able to work well under stress;
- Able to problem solve in difficult situations;
- Able to work some irregular hours (e.g. some early mornings, late nights or weekends) and able to travel to other provinces;
- Strong cross-cultural communication ability and experience or desire to work comfortably within a multi-ethnic and multi-disciplinary team; and
- Passion to help people suffering injustice and oppression.
Contact : firstname.lastname@example.org