Organization : Thailand Institute of Justice (TIJ)
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 19 Sep 2017
View : 1706
Deadline : 30 / September / 2017
Job title: Research Officer (Thai national only)
Programme: Implementation of the Bangkok Rules and the Treatment of Offenders (IBR)
Responsible to: Chief of Programme
Work Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Type of contract: Project-based contract
Duration: 1 year (renewable)
Application deadline: 30 September 2017
ABOUT THE TIJ
Building on Thailand’s engagement in the UN Commission on Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice, Thailand Institute of Justice (TIJ) was established in 2011 with the aim to promote excellence in research and capacity-building in the area of criminal justice. The institute serves as a bridge that transports global ideas to local practices. The primary objective is to promote the implementation of United Nations Rules for the Treatment of Women Prisoners and Non-custodial Measures for Women Offenders (the Bangkok Rules) as well as other United Nations standards and norms related to women and children in contact with the criminal justice system.
As a member of the United Nations Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Programme Network Institute (UNPNI), TIJ also gears its work towards important cross-cutting issues on the United Nations agenda such as the rule of law, sustainable development, human rights, peace and security. At the same time, it works toward enhancing domestic justice system and the rule-based community within the ASEAN region.
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
The Implementation of the Bangkok Rules and Treatment of Offenders Programme (IBR) support the work of the TIJ in promoting and supporting the implementation of the UN standards and norms related to the treatment of offenders nationally, regionally and internationally. The core activities of IBR include 1) policy advocacy; 2) research; and 3) capacity building. We work to:
- Conduct high quality research and provide practical and evidence-based recommendations to inform and influence policies, practices and public debates;
- Provide capacity building trainings and enhance awareness on the importance of the UN standards and norms related to treatment of offenders; and
- Build network and partnerships with government agencies, international organizations and other United Nations Programme Network Institutes (PNIs) through academic and technical cooperation.
- Contribute to the development of research proposals and project proposals related to the treatment of offenders and relevant UN standards and norms in Thailand and other ASEAN countries;
- Lead and provide support in substantive research on issues related to (1) Women Prisoners and the Implementation of the Bangkok Rules in ASEAN Region (2) Vulnerability in Prison and (3) Non-custodial Measures for Women Offenders.
- Support research project activities including fieldwork, holding workshops and producing other written outputs under the supervision of a Chief Programme Officer;
- Prepare high quality briefs for project management and TIJ executive members and draft statement based on substantive analysis and research;
- Assist in developing institutional partnership with international organizations, NGOs, academic and other concerned institutions and individuals with regard to research and policy work on the treatment of prisoners;
- Provide substantial inputs in presenting the research outcome to various international and regional platforms including conferences, workshops, seminars and meetings;
- Undertake some travel overseas for research related purposes.
- Coordinate the day-to-day activities for the research projects;
- Under the overall direction of a Chief Programme Officer, manage budget plan and the inputs of other project partners;
- Coordinate with consultants and other short-term local assistants hired for the research project activities; and
- Liaise with key government and non-government partners and institutions on research projects and opportunities for collaboration.
- Provide substantial inputs in developing and operating capacity building activities under the supervision of a Chief Programme Officer;
- Provide necessary assistance for the annual Training Programme on the Management of Women Prisoners in ASEAN Region for Senior Correctional Staff and other in-country trainings; and
- Assist in organizing any other capacity building workshops, expert meetings and conferences.
- Provide support (logistics and substantial) in the arrangement of national / regional and international workshops / seminars; and
- Draft and prepare necessary documents required for project activities such as invitation letter, information note and trip / financial reports;
- Other tasks as assigned.
Experience and Knowledge
- Post-graduate degree in law, international relations, development studies, human rights or other relevant discipline;
- Good knowledge of international standards and norms related to the treatment of offenders, human rights instruments, research methodology and ethics;
- Minimum 4 years professional experience in development or governmental sector;
- At least 2 years of experience in coordinating research projects and producing research outputs;
- Experience in research/case study/report writing in English;
- Native level Thai language (written and verbal);
- Fluency in English language (written and verbal);
- Experience working with data, writing policy brief and developing analysis;
- Active knowledge of key international institutions in the sector and beyond;
Skills / Abilities
- Excellent analytical and writing skills;
- Strong writing ability with exceptional communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong multi-tasking under tight deadlines;
- Proven ability to work effectively both independently and in a team based environment;
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills;
- Willingness and ability to travel both domestically and internationally on a frequent basis, which may include overnight and weekends on occasion; and
- Willingness and ability to make a frequent visit and work inside detention facilities particularly prisons.
- Willingness to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities; and
- Excellent IT skills (Word, Excel, Powerpoint);
- Previous experience in an international policy development research environment, i.e. policy-oriented research, demonstrated by publications or reports;
- Experience conducting research with socially marginalized and vulnerable group; and
- Good knowledge of statistics software, i.e. SPSS, STATA, etc.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This contract is 12-month (October 2017 – September 2018) and subject to a three-month probationary period.
Monthly salary range for this position is 32,000 – 45,000 THB, depending on qualifications and experience.
Recruitment will be at Research Officer level in principle, however, the applicable grade will be assessed through the selection process. Depending on the result of the assessment, the incumbent may be offered a Research Assistant position.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants are required to send in the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- CV including two professional referees
- One writing sample in English
Please indicate in the Subject Title: Application_Research Officer (Last Name)
The closing date for receipt of application is 30th September, 2017. Late applications will not be considered.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and writing exam at TIJ Office in Bangkok in mid-October, 2017.
Contact : 02 118 9400 Ext. 117