Organization : Stockholm Environment Institute
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 21 Aug 2017
View : 1807
Deadline : 1 / September / 2017
Research Fellow - Gender, Environment and Development
Bangkok, Thailand · Gender, Environment and Development · GED
SEI is an independent international research institute, engaged in environment and development issues at local, national, regional and global policy levels for more than a quarter of a century. Our goal is to bring about change for sustainable development by bridging science and policy. We do this by providing integrated analysis that supports decision makers. SEI works from seven main locations, with additional offices linked to these. Project teams generally span locations.
The overall responsibilities of the Research Fellow are to undertake research activities related to ongoing projects and also to lead the development of new research projects.
The Research Fellow will support other specific project leader/managers as agreed with their line manager.
Research and policy engagement
- Identify, formulate, develop, lead and implement gender, environment and development research projects that further the aims and objectives of SEI.
- Ensure high quality of the research process that will lead to high quality research publications and other information for various media,
- Identify funding sources, lead or contribute to fundraising, and seek to secure funding for these projects.
- Find opportunities to engage with decision-makers and influencers towards realizing more gender- and socially-responsive decision making in environment and natural resource management
- Provide guidance and mentoring to junior research staff.
- Provide guidance to junior research staff in research development and implementation, support professional and career development for junior research staff, and contribute to SEI’s staff development program.
- In collaboration with the SEI Communications Team and the Centre Communications Coordinator facilitate and support internal communications and outreach activities including e.g. presentations, speeches, dialogues and media articles.
- Contribute to strengthening the relationship between Asia Centre with the host country (Thai government) and partnership with the host institute (Chulalongkorn University).
Other duties and responsibilities
- Promote the aims and objectives of the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) as set out in its Mission and in conformation with the strategic plan. This includes participating in and contributing to the development of respective Centre and Research Theme.
- Implement the projects and/or research work according to the work plans and available budget, cooperate with and support the colleagues in the research team to ensure the delivery on time and of the quality, and report progress in accordance with the SEI Project Manual including filling in your timesheets correctly.
- Be a proactive team member, cooperating with and supporting colleagues in your research group and/or collaborating with other groups within the Centre; participate in the crossing-centre communications.
- Ensure exchange of ideas with relevant institutes, scientists and experts including other SEI Centres.
- Respect and implement all the Institute policies, including the Institute Code of Conducts, environment policy and the institute secondment policy if the position is filled in through SEI internal secondment.
- Report directly to the respective line manager and project manager(s).
Required Minimum Qualifications and Required Experience:
- D. and 3 years, or a Master degree and 8 year working experience, related primarily to gender, environment and development research, preferably, applied research that links with policy engagement and/or influences policy action and decision-making.
- Excellent track record in institutional development specifically focusing on gender mainstreaming through capacity building, advisory work and mentoring, and programming.
- Very good research background in gender, environment and natural resource management, with a strong publication record having contributed to both the scientific and practitioner literature.
- Experiences in project/research design, implementation and management in gender and development projects
- Good background in data processing and data preparation through quantitative and qualitative, or mixed methods approaches.
- Proven experience in fundraising.
- Experience in writing of proposals.
- Excellent fluency in spoken and written English.
- Strong motivation, personal initiative and commitment to excellence and results, as well as enthusiasm for doing scientific research.
- Demonstrated record of interdisciplinary collaboration, partnership and team building and the desire to work in a collaborative environment with time management.
- Experiences in working in the Asian region, notably through engagement in a variety of public forums: conferences, workshops, dialogues, roundtable discussions, gender mainstreaming and capacity building projects.
- Experience in communicating scientific information to a range of different audiences.
- Interests in working at the interface of social science and policy engagement, and qualitative approaches.
- Knowledge of an Asian language and culture.
Salary package including health insurance and provident fund commensurate with background, skills and experience. SEI Asia offers an exciting and interesting opportunity to work alongside some of the region's leading researchers to bring genuine change to the world we live in.
Deadline: 1 September 2017