Organization : UNDP
Type : Nonprofits / องค์กรไม่แสวงหาผลกำไร
Date : 17 Jul 2017
View : 1984
Deadline : 29 / July / 2017
United Nations Development Programme
Terms of Reference
Post Title: Project Coordinating Associate for Low Carbon Cities Project
Type of Appointment: Service Contract (SC-6)
Organizational Unit: UNDP – GEF/ Achieving Low Carbon Growth in Cities through Sustainable Urban Systems Management in Thailand
Duration of Contract: 1 year (Renewable subject to good performance and availability of funds)
Duty Station: Bangkok, Thailand with frequent travel to partner cities in Thailand
Thailand is transitioning from the 11th National Economic and Social Development Plan (2012-2016) which sets a vision in moving Thailand towards a low carbon and climate resilient society to the 12th Plan (2017-2021) which aims to promote sustainable economic and social growth that is environmentally-friendly. Important steps have been taken to pave the way for low carbon and climate resilient society, however, local authorities especially municipalities are facing with a range of challenges on low carbon urban development. Rapid economic development, urbanization and climate change pose a threat to the management of municipalities/cities in a sustainable way. In support of the Royal Thai Government and the local administration, UNDP Thailand designed a country-led intervention on strengthening the capacities and processes at local level for bottom-up integrated low carbon development planning and the sustainable management of low carbon development projects.
The Achieving Low Carbon Growth in Cities through sustainable Urban Systems Management in Thailand (LCC) Project aims to strengthen the capacities and processes at local level for bottom-up integrated low carbon development planning, the implementation and sustainable management of low carbon development projects. The four-year project (May 2017- April 2021) focuses on low carbon urban systems, in particular, waste management, sustainable transport and efficient use of energy, in four cities, while experiences will be shared with other cities to learn from.
The project objective is to “promote sustainable urban systems management in selected cities to achieve low carbon growth.” The objective will be achieved by removing barriers to adoption of low carbon development in cities in Thailand through the following components:
- Low carbon sustainable urban development planning in four cities, which will enable them to formulate and implement low carbon sustainable urban development plans
- Low carbon investments in four cities leading to more energy efficient urban systems
- Financial incentives and institutional arrangements to increase volume of investments in energy efficient urban systems by government and private sector
The project is financially supported by the Global Environment Facility (GEF), with the Thailand Greenhouse Gas Management Organization (TGO) Public Organization, as the Implementing Partner. The total GEF-supported funding is US$ 3,150,000.
To support the implementation of the project and ensure effective implementation and timely delivery, UNDP Thailand Country Office is recruiting a Project Coordinating Associate to work with TGO and UNDP to support Thailand in addressing development, environment and climate change in an integrated manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Project Coordinating Associate will support the Project Manager in coordinating the day-to-day management and operations of the project, ensuring high quality, efficient and effective project delivery. The Project Coordinating Associate will focus on the coordination of activities with the partner cities. As such, frequent travels to the partner cities is anticipated.
- Support the Project Manager in the daily coordination of project activities;
- Coordinate activities with partner cities, government institutions, private sector and communities in cities, local and national NGOs, low carbon city network, international organizations, development partners, etc. in consultation with implementing partners and UNDP;
- Maintain regular contact with city coordinators and focal persons in cities regarding the coordination of project activities in the cities. Frequent travel to cities is anticipated;
- Maintain regular contact with project service providers such as academic institutes, consultants and, etc.;
- Strengthen the low carbon city network;
- Facilitate communications and advocacy of the project results.
- Support the Project Manager in planning and organizing meetings involving the implementing parties, responsible parties, UNDP, and other relevant parties to develop annual and quarterly work plans and corresponding budget plans with clearly stated milestones contributing to the achievement of target outputs defined in the Project Document. Ensure the necessary inputs by the partner cities via the city coordinators;
- Support the preparation of work plans and budget plans in close consultation with UNDP and TGO based on the operational and strategic conditions. Keep the Project Manager updated on issues and potential delays and risks to the work schedule and other operational and budgetary issues.
- Support the Project Manager in overseeing the day-to-day project implementation and ensure achievement of targets as outlined in the project work plan and result matrix;
- Support the mobilization of competent national and international experts as needed, in particular related to the activities implemented in the cities;
- Support the Project Manager in the preparation of draft Terms of Reference (ToR) in consultation with UNDP and/or the Implementing Partner for required inputs (individual and institutional consultancy services, the procurement of goods, organization of training, seminars, etc.) with expert technical support as required;
- Ensure inputs from partner cities and review project resource requirements and provide inputs to the need for budget adjustments and possible revisions.
Reporting and Audit:
- Provide inputs to project progress reports (quarterly and annual / financial and substantive) against set targets and indicators, with an analysis of evidence of progress towards planned outputs according to schedules, budgets, and inputs provided by the project;
- Prepare inputs to the project report, with an analysis of progress towards expected results as defined in the Project Document and subsequent work plans and budgets;
- Support the Project Manager in preparing reports and involve in M&E activities as required by UNDP, GEF and TGO.
Knowledge Building and Sharing:
- Prepare draft documentation of innovations, good practices, lessons learned and an effective knowledge building;
- Contribute to knowledge networks/ communities of practice and organize knowledge sharing sessions;
- Compile success stories, in particular from cities, that have resulted in lasting, large-scale transformational change, if applicable.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others.
- Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Responds positively to new approaches
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Thai national with Secondary Education. Bachelor’s Degree in environment, engineering, climate change, low emission, sustainable development or development related fields would be desirable.
- Minimum 4 years for Bachelor’s holders or 6 years for secondary education holders of relevant work experience at the national or international level, related to environment, planning, climate change, low carbon or sustainable development;
- Previous experience working at the local level with cities in Thailand related to sustainable development or low carbon development is an advantage;
- Experience working on topics related to waste management and/or the energy sector, planning, carbon footprint is an advantage;
- Experience working/coordinating with civil society, NGOs, knowledge sharing platform, and communities on development is an advantage;
- Willingness to travel in Thailand extensively is required.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Thai.
Interested candidates should submit applications online with UN Personal History Form (P11) by 29 July 2017.
This position is open for Thai nationals only.
Only short listed candidates will be notified.